Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
To avoid hijacking the Dion thread, how about this guy, TB?

One hit wonder, sure. But he can still sing it at 70 years old.

OUTSTANDING video, PB. Thanks! smile Proves what I said: Italians were the only white guys who made decent doo wop (although I think Jimmy Beaumont of the Skyliners was Irish?).

Cheech, Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers were a quintessential NY doo-wop group. Saw them many times at the Alan Freed shows in the Fifties. Frankie was immensely popular with white kids, particularly girls--he had an angelic voice and cherubic looks [sound of wings flapping...]. He was also the first well-known R&R victim of heroin. The Teenagers still sing. A friend from work filled in with them occasionally. Two of the originals are still with us.

Another quintessential NY doo wop group was the Channels ("The Closer You Are," plus many others--attention! PB!). Into the Sixties, when I worked on Wall Street, I'd see white guys, wearing NY Stock Exchange coats, singing "The Closer You Are" in office building vestibules to get the echo effect. Another NY classic doo wop group was the Harptones. Willie Winfield, their lead singer, was truly beloved.

The Jive Five were a "neo-Doo Wop" group--their big hit, "My True Story," was early Sixties. An unforgettably great song.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.