Originally Posted By: FrankMazola
In such a legalized gambling activity like horse racing, how does LCN make any money on that? I mean fixing races? Maybe. Being able to bet on credit? I guess, but some states allow markers for horse racing legally. Other than just for recreational gambling I'm having trouble finding out why people (myself included) naturally associate horse racing with wiseguys. Any thoughts?

Wiseguys love to bet horses. That and the bookmaking. Those are the main reasons people make the association.

As far as wiseguys fixing races, it happens. But not nearly as much as you'd think, And it's much easier to fix the trotters. That's why the trotters are a dead sport today. Roosevelt and Yonkers Raceway were like a candy store for those guys back in the '60s and '70s.

But it got to the point where the average gambler got so disgusted with not having a fair chance, that they just stopped going. That's why Roosevelt's gone and, if not for the video poker and slots, Yonkers would be a parking lot as well. But give it to the Rooneys, they're making money hand over fist with those slots today.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.