Originally Posted By: NNY78
Frank, My guess would be because there is a school of thought that still subscribes to theory that they are fixed based on the LCN history of involvement. The same can be said for strip clubs and Italian restaurants. 25 years ago a stretch of Federal Highway between Commercial Blvd and Oakland Park Blvd in Fort Lauderdale had a huge LCN presence, restaurants, strip clubs and night clubs. You know what they say about wise guys, they aren't happy making money unless their stealing it. We have quite a few dog and pony tracks down here and along with a couple Jai Alai futons and back in the day they were heavily mobbed up. I suppose today you could still find a way to fix a race and make a couple bucks by why bother when you can set up a phony medical office, buy a list of Medicare recipients names and SS numbers and bill Medicare for millions of dollars in 3 months time and pack it in before the feds even get suspicious.

They went to the well one too many times with the Florida horse and dog tracks. They got greedy and killed a good thing (good for them, not that I'm saying it's good).

I love the track. Hell, I grew up at the track. New York and Florida. But it's a bygone way of life for the most part ohwell .

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.