Originally Posted By: klydon1
2. There are more exaggerated infield shifts for batters than I have ever seen in one season, and why not? Batters don't have enough skill and versatility to beat the shift. I remember the Reds in '77 putting on a huge infield shift for Rich Hebner, a left-handed, dead pull hitter, who was a pretty good hitter, but never going to smell a batting crown. He went 5 for 5 as he bunted 3 grounders to the vacated third base, and aimed two soft grounders through the vacated spot. He was never a bunter, but there was a time when every hitter was expected to be able to lay one down. As a result there were rarely exaggerated shifts employed.

Hitters today, when faced with shifts that leave the entire left side of the infield open are much more likely to ground out to right field where the second baseman is, than even consider taking it the other way even when a homerun is not needed.

I couldn't agree more. It is SO frustrating to see these guys keep hitting into the shift. Lay a bunt down and try to beat it. Force the team not to shift on you or just continue to drop bunts. The Yankees NEVER do this and it just kills me watching the shift gobble up ground ball after ground ball for outs.