Originally Posted By: goombah
Originally Posted By: klydon1
Goombah, I have a bit of a remote connection with one of your Cleveland Indians, Michael Brantley. His dad (Mickey) played a few years with the Mariners in the late 80s, and was from the same hometown, Catskill, NY, as one of my roommates in Boston, Larry. Larry's brother was a friend of Mickey Brantley, so often when the Red Sox were in Boston in '88 or '89, he'd set us up with tickets.

I never met Mickey, who had a couple decent years, but he'd always leave Larry a message as to where we can pick up the tickets and for what day. We'd sit in a section where some of the players' wives and family would be, and on one occasion Mickey's wife introduced herself to us. She was with her baby, who had just started to walk. The baby boy was Michael Brantley, whom I held on my lap for a little bit.

I recently heard Michael Brantley interviewed and only when he mentioned his dad, did I put two and two together.

That's a nice story Klydon. Brantley is a core player for the Indians and seems to be well-grounded.

I have been out of town for the past few days. I was able to fulfill a sports bucket list item on the trip. I made my first visit to Wrigley Field. Topping it off was to share the visit with my family, especially my young son. We actually saw the Cubs play the Pirates on Friday. There were a good number of Pitt fans at the game.

I got to thinking about the game and found the box score on baseball reference. I remembered it was a Friday night after we had a final exam and were blowing off some steam before the last final. Mickey Brantley homered and doubled even though they lost.

I'm sure you'll fondly remember Wrigley Field, especially since your son shared the experience with you. Wrigley is a place where you not only watch a ball game, but you can also feel a real sense of history. It's nice to hear that the Bucs are having some of their fans follow them on the road.