Originally Posted By: MaryCas

Hey Kly, what do you think about Sandberg? Another year? Incredible how the hitting has dropped off so drastically. And the pitching. Battle for the basement with the Mets.

Yes. I like Sandberg and realize that he is saddled with a team of declining veterans. Sandberg has made some odd strategic moves during games that have backfired, but I don't mind the aggressiveness. While winning has been inconsistent under Sandberg, effort hasn't. The team plays hard for him. He was a great motivator and winner in the minors and soon those guys he managed will be moving up to fill roster spots.

Dominic Brown is probably the least productive starting player in the game, and they have a lot of dead, aging payroll weight, like Ryan Howard and Jimmy Rollins.

The pitching staff is ok with Hamels and Lee, once he gets off the DL, as a solid 1-2 punch. And the bullpen had an unbelievably good June. But the middle relief won't hold up as it's young. Papelbon surprisingly is having as good a year as he's ever had. he just doesn't get as many save opportunities as he should, but he has saved about 19 of 21 games with an ERA of about 1.20, which should have won him a spot on the all-star team.

The biggest problem is GM. Amaro, Jr. has acquired a lot of mediocre talent. There are some promising prospects in the minors, but not as much as there should be. There should be a lot of interest in Chase Utley, Papelbon, and Lee at the trading deadline, and I think the team should move the first two and maybe Lee if they can replenish the farm.