Another film which just came to mind was The Thin Red Line in which the narration is used as a poetic compliment to the natural baeuty of the film's mise-en-scene, and used it is to great effect.

Asfaneh, I see your point. Voice-over can induce an almost surreal psychological disbalance within the viewer, and if and when I start to make movies, I would approach voice-over narration very carefully. I suggest you watch Godard's Bande à part (1964), which uses narration as a third-person narrative, and to a witty extreme, whereby Godard, by using it, is constantly reminding us that we're watching a film--and, more importantly, a film that he, as auteur, has made--which is a key point in the nouvelle vague's (French New Wave) counter-dominance to Hollywood.

Hollywood and other dominant cinemas, until the 70s, only used narration as a means of narrating a flashback, telling the viewer what happened in retrospect. Godard (it is unjust to attribute this whole change entirely to him, though) used narration as the whole film, which helped to cahnge the rules somewhat.

Mick

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?