Quote:
Originally posted by plawrence:

as long as they do not infringe upon the rights of others
That's exactly what I have wrong with your argument. Where is the line drawn between infringing on others and not? Shouldent the best enviornment for children be a "village" where not only parent look out for them, but others (FCC) look out for them as well. Parents cannot watch their children ALL the time.

As far as "What the majority wants" yes in theory I do believe that what the majority wants should be the best in a Democratic society. Unfortunately the majority of Americans do not have the time or desire to educate themselves on every issue out there (me being one of them, hence the system of electing representatives to make those choices for us. I won't claim that the system is perfect, but I do believe it's the best system out there.

The majority of Americans do not want to do away with things like Saving Private Ryan and Catcher in the Rye. They want to restrict people like Howard Stern who have fat men shove their feet into womens vaginas. I understand that cable television was designed to allow more lee way (spelling?) than ABC, CBS, etc, but cable television is too common now to be able to show that kind of stuff. HBO and Showtime can do whatever they want, I don't care, but cable is in the majority of households, hotels, even schools.