Originally Posted By: Faithful1
Originally Posted By: Binnie_Coll
faithful one, I don't think giancana was reined in at all, he strutted around like he was a movie star, sued the fbi, got his picture all over the news papers, brought ungodly heat to the outfit, with all his power he acted like a fool.

Having the power to rein someone in is different than exercising that power. For the most part Accardo didn't interfere with Giancana running the Outfit. After all, Giancana was the boss and Accardo considered himself retired while acting as a consultant. Ricca didn't interfere either, but it doesn't mean that he couldn't overrule Giancana should he decide to do so. In other words, Ricca and Accardo didn't micromanage.

They also knew that being the boss was going to be a source of heat and they were trying to avoid prison, and in Ricca's case, deportation. Accardo and Ricca both succeeded, but Giancana was sent to prison then when he came out wanted nothing to do with running the Outfit. Being boss means having a target on your back. Look what happened to Giancana's successors: Battaglia, Alderisio, Cerone and Aiuppa all went to prison. Ricca and Accardo died free men.

For the most part I agree with everything you've said in this thread. Giancana went to jail for refusing to testify. He was in a really tough spot. Testify and he would implicate Outfit members, refuse to testify and go to jail. He could have tried to "skate" around the questions but it would have been almost impossible. The govt had him on tape (bugs) talking about the commission and ordering hits, etc., etc. Some of the information was illegally collected but about any first year law student could have structured questions that would have put Giancana in great peril. He was really caught between a rock and a hard place. The same situation played-out in 1974 when Giancana returned to Chicago and he was granted total immunity. I believe it was Hanrahan and David Schippers who were instrumental in designing the immunity offer.

Back to 1966. I do believe it was Accardo and et.al, who met with Giancana and it was decided the best course of action was for Giancana to leave Chicago. Really his only true option was to get out of the country. Going to another state would only result in being arrested and jailed w/o bond because he would then be a flight risk. Regardless of who make the decision to go to Mexico, it was probably the best option at the time. Giancana later said "Tony Accardo ran me out of Chicago." I'm not so sure anybody ran him out, but it was a good decision relative to Giancana's dilemma. Given Accardo's criminally gifted mind, he probably discussed with Giancana the problem he faced by staying in Chicago or going to another state. Giancana's exile was self-imposed so he decided on Mexico.

Let me pose a question: What advice would you have given Giancana if you had met with him? This question is for everyone. Please feel free to respond.