Originally Posted By: Faithful1
Like I wrote previously, if he had the respectful attitude of Accardo, Nicoletti or English he would have made himself less of a target. Giancana had no problem telling Accardo that owning a huge mansion made him a target for the IRS, and those annual 4th of July parties didn't help. When the IRS did go after him he stopped and they were held at Cerone's house; Accardo also sold his 22-room mansion and moved into something smaller. He learned his lesson. Giancana wasn't a lavish spender while in Chicago, but celebrity girlfriends gave him a fame he didn't need. I think Ricca suggested that he tone it down, but Ricca didn't order him to do so and kept it up until he was sent to prison.

Yes, Roemer, Hill, et al, said the same thing about Giancana's confrontational attitude. Certainly agree about the attitude of Ricca, Accardo, Nicoletti and others.

Murray Humphreys also cautioned Accardo about his big mansion saying, "the good money doesn't go to the burbs; you'll stick out lick a sore thumb."

Was not aware that the 4th party was switched to Cerone's house. Thanks

Ricca was very concerned about McGuire. Somewhere in my files I have a newspaper link. According to news reports, he became upset with Accardo about Giancana's continued relationship with P. McGuire. I made contact with some folks in Chicago to see why Ricca was upset with Accardo and I was told that it was because Accardo sponsored Giancana for the operating boss' position. Go figure ! Will not repeat source but it was a good one.

When you mention about going to prison are you talking about Ricca or Giancana? Giancana was in prison in the 40's and to the best of my knowledge never returned. He was held in Chicago (jail) in 1965 for refusing to answer questions during court proceedings. He stayed in jail for a year until the grand jury was dismissed, and then he was released. Ricca went to jail in 1959. I think he (Ricca) pulled about 27 months.

Here's one link to P. McGuire:

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1962/06/04/page/3/article/giancana-hits-a-sour-note-with-the-mob

Last edited by GaryMartin; 09/12/14 06:39 PM.