Originally Posted By: Alfa_Romeo
Quote:
Better get yourself a big red pen to delete all the crap that Valachi wrote. It might save you a few bucks when copying!

The other poster was complaining about the cost.

If it's 15 cents a page and 1810 pages, that's only $271.50.

Let me just stop right there. I don't have much more to say on the topic.

Don't forget flight costs if you live far away, hotel costs, travel costs, and you gotta eat. When I was there I had to pay for all that, plus I wasn't out to copy just one thing, but a whole lot of things. You know those FBI docs uploaded to Mary Ferrell? I spent hundreds copying them years before that Mary Ferrell site was up. That was at College Park, Maryland. Then add doing that at archives in New York, Chicago and San Francisco.

Another thing about the federal archives: you can't just go looking around and grabbing what you want when you want. You have to fill out forms to have what you want pulled and delivered to you. Then you pick what you want copied and you show it to another guy who's job it is to make sure you don't have classified material that mistakenly went into a file or that you don't steal the documents (like Bill Clinton's ex Secretary of State Warren Burger, who stuffed documents down his pants to steal them). Then you make copies one page at a time, which is time consuming. Plus you have to return some of the stuff you have out so you can request more stuff.

Or you could pay them to copy the documents for you at around 50 cents a page.