Originally Posted By: Its_da_Jackeeettttttt
Here's an interesting article on the death of baseball, which has been dying a slow death since 1868:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-de...cline-articles/

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Originally Posted By: MaryCas
I heard today that game 1 is the lowest rated Game 1 in World Series history. Oh, the state of baseball is suffering. In ten years there will be about 10% Americans playing the game. Americas past time is becoming a victim of cyber games and television $$. I heard an expression today that I never paid attention to - drop-ins. e.g."and that home run was sponsored by AT&T....". Every camera shop has a corporate logo in the background. America's past time is truly about making money and that ideal has taken over the game.

Tragic. Honestly. Just tragic.

My opinion is that Bud Selig has done a lot to kill baseball. More specifically, Bud Selig's greed. He has placated sponsors and gone for the quick buck rather than try to develop the next generation of fans. For those old enough to remember, Selig was initally an interim commissioner in the early 90s. Unfortunately, his stay has lasted nearly a quarter century.

When I was growing up, MLB playoffs were on TV in the afternoon when I came home from school. As a kid, baseball was my favorite sport and I got to see many games both in-person and on TV. But now, despite some Divisional round games starting at 5:00 p.m. EST, most postseason games start at 8:00 p.m. during the weekday. Why? Because TV sponsors can charge more money in primetime. While this is directed at today's consumer, it is alienating the 10 year old kid who may love baseball but 1) can't stay up late during the school year and 2) is not in position financially to be a customer for another 8-10 years. It's completely short-term thinking by Selig and MLB.

This cumulative effect leaves far fewer kids interested in baseball. So we are seeing the results of declining attendance, rapidly lower TV ratings, and less interest in America's pasttime.