In "I Heard You Paint Houses", Frank Sheeran relates the story of one of the five or so hits Bruno ordered. Sheeran, a union guy then was offered 10 grand by a Philly associate named "Whispers" DiTullio. Whispers told Sheeran he had invested in a linen supply business that supplied hotels. But the linen supply business wasn't making any money to return his investment. They had too much competition from a linen business in Delaware called Cadillac Linen Service. He told Sheeran to bomb the Cadillac Linen Service, or torch it to the ground, and told him it was Jewish-owned.

Those jews were partners of Angelo Bruno. Sheeran drove to Delaware, casing the Cadillac Linen Service, trying to figure out where to place a bomb or fire. The next day Felix "Skinny Razor" DiTullio (Scarfo's capo before he was banished) brought Sheeran in to a meeting with Bruno himself. Also at the meeting was Russell Bufalino. Bruno told Sheeran that the place he almost blew up was owned by Jewish mob members, his partners. Here's a quote that might be relevant.

"You get one mistake. Don't make another one. And thank you friend here. If it wasn't for Russ, I would't be wasting my time. I'd have let the Jews have you. What do you think they were made with, a finger? They're not going to let someone drive around their block and not check them out." The meeting when ends when Bruno and Bufalino tell Sheeran that they believe Whispers tried to get him in trouble and have him killed, setting up the linen job knowing he would be spotted. "It's your responsibility to take care of this matter by tomorrow morning. That's the chance you get. Capische?"

The next day Whispers DiTullio was gunned down. I don't think that Bruno was a pacifist by any means. He was a pragmatist. And occasionally, as seen with Whispers DiTullio and the Caruso hit, he was like any other mob boss, he really did order hits out of anger too.