the french for that area of the upper east side has a lot to do with a very expensive, private French high school located along the river in the east 70s. a lot of french expat kids go there and i assume their families live close by, prob a lot of UN workers too. the school has such influence over that small section of the neighborhood that a few years ago, a french immigrant opened up a legit french coffee and pastry shop on York basically to give the kids a place to hang out before and after class, and hes making a fuck ton of money. there is also a big french museum/historical cultural center in the east 60s near Madison too. i guarentee that the area wouldnt be marked as "french" if it werent for the school and the ancillaries it brings. there are still some old old germans in the area from when it was a german neighborhood, and a few blocks in the 80s that still have some old Hungarians.

also there are a few big mitchell lamas in the east 80s and those bring all sorts of demographics, mainly irish and chinese though. chinese are everywhere.

the french creole places in brooklyn are predominatly Haitian. those have been big haitian areas since before I was born.

Frankly I am surprised to see chinese as the biggest outside of english and spanish in East Harlem. i know that area has a huge (most in the city?) concentration of public housing, and apparently the chinese are slowly taking over the projects, especially in manhattan. they are taking over everything. the poor immigrants are taking over NYCHA and the rich are sending their kids to NYU and buying them multi million dollar condos

pizzaboy is dead to rights on everything having to do with NYC. but on the french comment, not so much. i think the area is marked as french only because of the school, not because of the liberal, monied demographic of the area. im from the area, and id say while the monied part is right, there are a lot of conservatives over here. from the park heading east until 3rd Ave, its all up-tight rich wasps and jews. the types who are staunchly conservative, but if you were to dig, you'd see they probably donate to BOTH political partis. that kind of rich lol. east of third is a huge mix. but if it werent for thst school we'd probably see German, or "valley girl" lol

Last edited by tt120; 06/24/15 09:48 PM.