Cause Lucky was just outta jail and sent to italy,so he was disconnected from the new york streets. Costello was playing too many away games,lansky was doing his own thing, so was joey a, and vito had his own army, plus his own italian connections so he didnt really need luciano. Luchesse was close to lucky and gambino and luchesse were family, plus gambinos in anastasias family, and anastasia is closer to lucky than his own boss. There were complex family relationships during this period.
Its interesting,another myth i just thought of, Lucky at the Cuba meeting trying to take the boss of bosses title, also in his book he says he wanted to ban narcotics, Isay bullshit, I think he wanted the Boss of bosses title, which I actually think the other bosses could care less about, cause he was never coming back. But I think Lucky tried to take charge of allthe dope, and the other bosses were very resistant, they were used to thier independence and were not about to shuck it for the sake of honoring lucky, so they ratted him out and sent him back to italy. Aso in The strenght of the wolf, it says bugsy might have been hit for trying to take over the west coast dope trade, think about that for a second, any thoughts?