Originally Posted By: HandsomeStevie
Thats part of an article about Tommy Scafidi.. Has anyone ever heard of Horsehead and Nicky Jr beating Angelina with bats because Nicky Sr ordered Angelina to stay away from the Merlinos? First ive ever heard that so i wanted to see if anyone else heard anything.. Especially because i thought Joey Merlino basically brought Marty Angelina around..

I'm glad you asked about him @mchang as I've been curious about him as well. I don't think that Torre would necessarily "salty" towards Merlino about anything really let alone his brother. Tommy flipped and ratted and that's the ultimate NO. I know that even in Torre and Tommy's mother's obituary in 2011 they mention Torre and the daughter/sister of Torre and Tommy along with the rest of the family, but very specifically leave out Tommy her own son. So basically Tommy was disowned by the family. As far as Torre's relationship with Merlino goes, he actually worked for Chuckie Merlino before being made in 1986 and was sort of mentored by Chuckie. As a result, Torre and Joey Merlino were pretty good friends and hung out a lot together during that time before all the Scarfo guys went away to jail. So that being said I can't imagine there's too much animosity, but there could be for all I know. As far as Marty Angelina goes, he was an young associate during the Scarfo years and hung out with Joey and Torre and Tommy and all of those real young guys, but after Scarfo had his falling out with the Merlino's he basically ordered his son Nicky Jr to stop hanging out with Joey who he was pretty close with at the time as well as everyone else associated with the family effectively trying to cut the Merlino's out of the family and scene. Apparently, Marty Angelina did not listen to this order and continued to hang with Joey and as a result I believe Tommy Scafidi and Nicky Jr and maybe some others but I'm not positive were ordered to beat Marty so that he would fall in line and stop hanging with Joey Merlino.

Finally, I'm not sure why Phil Narducci doesn't like Joey Merlino. I've heard the whole story about Joey robbing Joe Pung's mother's house and taking her jewelry among other reasons for hating him. And I've also heard Phil Narducci doesn't like Johnny Chang for something stemming from when he was in prison and something with the way Johnny Chang handled some issue with Narducci's family. This must have been around the time he has his nephews (Joe and Frank Baldino) and Andrew Micali, etc had that big Borgata sports book and maybe Phil thought was his and not Johnny Changs? I know Phil Narducci's sister (Susan Baldino) who is the mother of Joe and Frank Baldino are literally next door neighbors to Johnny Chang in Philly so that could be how got close with them while Phil was away OR did something else completely non-LCN related... I'm just speculating here. As for Phil Narducci not liking Joey it's clear that he doesn't like or seem to be too supportive of him being boss, but no clear cut reason as far as I know as to why he hates Joey. If I had to guess it's simply that he thinks Joey is a punk and doesn't deserve to be boss and thinks it's a complete joke that this kid who was the JV-mob while Phil was out fighting the Riccobene's and one of Scarfo's top hit men is now boss and someone he has to kick up to. I think it's as simple as that but he probably just throws a little Joey's way via Steve Mazzone because he likes Steve but more
Importantly just respects the LCN tradition and believes in it, but refuses to directly pay Joey any respect. I personally think that Phil (And Joe Pung as well) are simply building up their respective crews and re-establishing themselves in the area so that when Joey and these guys get indicted again then they simply take over and move right into the spots they feel are rightfully there's. I think they know the second they starts shooting anyone there's gonna be more heat than ever and not worth getting locked up over after they just got done doing 25+ years. Sorry for the book report but had a lot to say and love this particular topic...