Originally Posted By: americafyeah
Originally Posted By: SmearyGoose1768
From the evidence above and documentaries it seemed the Medellin Cartel didn't have much control over the retail sales of drugs and the street gangs that plagued Medellin city. The Sinaloa cartel never had high murder rates in their cities or state they always relied on third party support to do their dirty work in other cartel's territory. So what was the cause for all these high murder rates in Medellin city, the headquarters of the Medellin Cartel?

i'm far from an expert on Medellin,so it's hard for me to say.but what I do know is crime there has been bad for a long time.i remember reading that Colombia was one of the pickpocket capitols of the world,back then in the 80s early 90s.and there's a long history of banditry,among the local gangs,and petty crimes.the lure and legend of Pablo Escobar probably fueld more involvement of barrio youth in drugs.and robberies,territorial disputes over drugs could have caused some of the violence. also,i'm sure it's similar to the U.S. barrios,where some members of the small-time local gang members 'graduate' into the big leagues,and get involved in drug cartels.at least they aspire to,having come from poor backgrounds.someone also mentioned here already that the Medillin cartel waged political warfare against the govt,carrying out bombings,assassinations,etc.

Did the Medellin Cartel profit from the retail sales of drugs in city or was it just sold to the gangs because it seems like the Medellin Cartel didn't have much control over the gangs. The reason Juarez had so many murders for a couple of years was because the Sinaloa Cartel wanted the Juarez-El Paso corridor so the Sinaloa Cartel used the local street gangs to wage war against the Juarez Cartel but they also had a street gang as enforcers and drug distributors(Barrio Azteca). Juarez like Tijuana has always been plagued by street gangs so they have always had high murder rates regardless of cartel vs cartel violence but the Tijuana Cartel kinda controlled the gangs in Tijuana and profited from the retail sales not sure about Juarez(Cartel). I say this because there wasn't much tension or turf wars between Medellin and Cali cartel, am I right? So it seems like Medellin cartel didn't have control over the street gangs it seems. To have such high rates of murder in city, it seem chaotic and out of control or lack of control on the streets. The Sinaloa Cartel has always been smart and has used proxy or other groups or gangs to wage their wars, obviously Sinaloa Cartel regional bosses calling the shots while the street gangs do dirty work.

Edit: In Los Zetas and Gulf cartel, the street gangs are the retail salers, extortionists, informants etc of the cartels and those that graduate into the "big leagues" become cartel members which are the captains and gunmen that control those territories in a city. So since they control the streets more directly, they relatively have low murder rates unless a rival cartel tries to infiltrate and mess around. I'm sure the other cartels follow the same formula and that's why in Mexico there are only high murder rates is if a rival cartels tries to encroach on their territories.

Last edited by SmearyGoose1768; 01/04/16 04:23 AM.