Originally Posted By: Fleming_Ave
I don't know if I like the idea of National Guard, unless there is some big riot in progress. Maybe if they are MPs trained in policing. Cops are trained to be cops, and they are familiar with those neighborhoods. Soldiers are trained in war, not police work.
Just my .02, as they used to say.

Agreed.

Im opposed to turning the military loose on civilian populations, and will never understand why some people would be so willing to allow their government that type of authoritarian role. I would think there are quite a few people in Chicago that wouldn't want armed troops patrolling their streets, and im not talking about the criminals.

I lived in NY in a high crime era. Im sure im not the only one on the board that did. We had about 2000 murders a year on average in those days, and i would not have welcomed martial law then and wouldn't support it now for Chicago (unless of course, the Canadians invade IL from the north).

All God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

I never met anyone who didn't have a very smart child. What happens to these children, you wonder, when they reach adulthood?