Originally Posted By: sbhc
Aren't hispanics listed as white on FBI Crime Stats?

They are technically Caucasian after all.

Somewhat. FBI along with the U.S Census separate them as Hispanic & Non-Hispanic White.

No. The U.S census , due to history, treats the Hispanic/Latino category as a broad racial group with multiple ethnicities. So if that person recognized as Hispanic/Latino then they have additional choices ex: white/black/others. Some Hispanics add white and others black.

I think it's a overall misrepresentation of communities due to our culture's deep seated roots in segregation/ideology. I personally define race as in Human race. When speaking about different cultures then that's ethnicity to me.

My country rather use racial umbrellas instead ex: White/Black/Hispanic/Latino/Asian/Natives or Pacific Islanders/ Others or Mixed; but there's multiple ethnicities under each one.
White: English, German, Italians, Poles,Scottish, Russians, Spainairds, French,etc

Black: Americans,Canadians,Mexicans English,Jamaicans,Haitians,Trinidad & Toboggans, Puerto Ricans, Cubans,Dominican,Brazilian,Nigerian, other Latin American & African nationalities

Hispanics/Latinos: Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Cubans, Spainairds, Salvadorans, Americans, Canadian, Honduran, Brazilian, Peruvian, Other Latin American nationalities

Asian: Chinese, Japanese, Taiwanese, Korean, Laotian, Thais, Indian, etc

Natives: Choctaw, Navojo, Biloxi, Chickasaw, Cherokee, and 595 other tribal groups.

If you think you are too small to make a difference, you haven't spend the night with a mosquito.
- African Proverb